Board Members Wanted: Opportunities Available For Wide Range Of Give/Get And Expertise
Today's New York Times reports on the high "price of admission" to serve on some of the most prestigious cultural boards in New York City, with some requiring give/gets (the combination of what a board member contributes and raises) in the millions of dollars. Examples include The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The New York Public Library, The Museum of Modern Art, Lincoln Center, The Metropolitan Opera, and Carnegie Hall.
The major institutions discussed in the NYT article have budgets in the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars. Yet these organizations are actually among fewer than 4% of nonprofits. For those who seek to engage on nonprofit boards, the remaining 96% of nonprofit organizations have budgets under $10 million. These nonprofits, including cultural organizations, are very much in need of board members, and their "give/gets" run the full gamut--many in the range of $2,500 - $15,000 annually.
For continuation, see here....http://bit.ly/aMPvSC