2012 ECR Award Winners
2012 ECR Award Winners
TORONTO, ON, November 7, 2012 /3BL Media/ - Canada’s second annual Excellence in Corporate Responsibility (ECR) Awards took place Wednesday November 7, 2012 in Toronto at One King West, presenting eighteen winners, eight honourable mentions and one outstanding achievement award to celebrate and honour the top corporate Canadians dedicated to creating sustainable and ethical practice in business. Winners ranged from a resource sector leader committed to innovation and collaboration with landowners; a sustainable adventure travel biz that leverages volunteerism; a socially responsible impact investment firm and a biogas co-operative that turns waste into energy.
Professionals from small, medium and large corporations in a range of industries were eligible to apply. Judging was based on leadership and innovation, performance and results, and process.
The Winners of the 2012 ECR Awards are:
1. Industry Associations - Chambers of Commerce, Boards of Trade
- Individual: Eugene Ellmen, Executive Director, Social Investment Organization
- Team: Ontario Electronic Stewardship
2. Small/Medium Business - Any sector
- Individual: Bruce Poon Tip, Founder, G Adventures
- Team: Fair Trade Jewellrey Company
- Individual: Sebastien Martin, Co-owner and CEO, Wedderspoon Organic Inc.
- Team: Toronto Hydro Corporation
3. Clean technology, Research & Development
- Individual: Alfea Principe, Global Marketing Director, Electronic Recycling Services
- Team: ZooShare Biogas Co-operative
4. Information, Communications, Technology
- Individual: Rick Huijbregts, Vice-president, Industry and Business Transformation, Cisco Canada
- Team: Xerox Canada Ltd.
- Team: HP (Canada) Co.
5. Financial Services, Insurance, Professional Services
- Individual: Gerry Rocchi, President and CEO, Green Power Action
- Team: PwC
- Team: Stantec Consulting Ltd.
6. Retail, Packaged Goods, Consumer Brands
- Individual: Normand Dumont, Vice-President, Sustainable Development, RONA
- Team: Canadian Tire Corporation
- Individual: John Challinor, Director of Corporate Affairs, Nestlé Waters Canada
7. Manufacturing, Transportation
- Individual: Susan Warren, Environmental Coordinator, Warren’s Waterless Printing Inc.
- Team: Catalyst Paper Corp.
- Individual: Scott Deugo, Chief Sales & Sustainability Officer, Teknion Limited
8. Resource Sector
- Individual: Nadine Barber, Vice-President, Government and Public Affairs, Devon Canada Corporation
- Team: Holcim (Canada) Inc.
9. Building, Design, Development
- Individual: Mazyar Mortazavi, Principal, TAS Design Build
- Team: Halsall Associates
- Individual: Emmanuelle Sauriol, Director, Corporate Sustainability and Sustainable Development, Dessau
- Team: The Minto Group
The 2012 Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Vancity. Vancity grew to be Canada’s largest credit union by both committing to achieving financial success for its 479,500 members, while being environmentally and socially responsible. Vancity is a member of the Global Alliance for Banking on Values, an independent network of the world’s leading sustainable banks sharing the commitment to achieving triple bottom-line impact through responsible banking practices. This kind of accountability results in real change — Vancity reached its goals of being carbon neutral two years ahead of schedule. Last year it diverted 70 percent of its waste from landfill for recycling. Most important, it is providing tools, training and products to encourage green change in the city of Vancouver, from offering low-interest loans to Vancouver’s homeowners for energy-efficient renovations, to helping develop one of the world’s largest master-planned sustainable communities - Dockside Green in Victoria, BC.
Full descriptions of the winners’ achievements are detailed in the attached winners’ list.
About the ECR Awards: The Excellence in Corporate Responsibility Awards program was developed by industry experts with deep knowledge of corporate responsibility within Canada, including Laurie Simmonds of Green Living Enterprises, Valérie Bécaert of CIRAIG (the Interuniversity Research Centre for the Life Cycle of Products), Bob Mann of Sustainalytics, Chad Park of The Natural Step Canada, Marlo Raynolds of BluEarth Renewables, Toby Heaps of Corporate Knights, Lorraine Smith of SustainAbility and author and sustainability expert Bob Willard.
2012 Judges included Kelly Baxter of The Natural Step International, Heather Lang of Sustainalytics, Matt McCulloch of the Pembina Institute and Lorraine Smith of SustainAbility.
For information about entering the 2013 ECR Awards, please contact Brenda Halkiw at 416-360-0044 x612 / email@example.com.
Brenda Halkiw, Executive Vice President
Green Living Enterprises
Tel: 416-360-0044 x612
Toll Free: 1-800-934-0044