2013 Dodge Dart Earns 5-Star NHTSA Safety Rating
2013 Dodge Dart Earns 5-Star NHTSA Safety Rating
- 5-star overall safety rating from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, its highest grade
- 5-star ratings for overall frontal and combined side-impact crash tests
- More than 60 available safety and security features, including 10 standard-equipment air bags – unsurpassed in Dart’s segment
- 68-percent high-strength-steel ratio among highest in industry
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Oct. 19, 2012 /3BL Media/ - The all-new 2013 Dodge Dart has earned a 5-star safety rating from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the regulatory agency’s highest grade.
Chrysler Group LLC’s new compact sedan recorded 5-star results in both overall frontal and side-impact crash tests for an overall 5-star score.
“The 5-star safety rating is further evidence that the all-new Dodge Dart is much more than a stylish, fun-to-drive vehicle,” says Reid Bigland, Dodge President and CEO and Chrysler Group’s Head of U.S. Sales. “The Dart represents genuine value, which we at Chrysler recognize is a precious commodity to consumers.”
The crash tests, conducted by NHTSA, reflect a more demanding set of protocols adopted for model-year 2011. Described by the agency as “rigorous” and “tougher,” the tests are designed to more accurately reflect the benefits of today’s more advanced safety technologies.
The Dodge Dart features 10 standard-equipment air bags and one of the auto industry’s highest content-ratios of high-strength steel.
NHTSA’s announcement marks the Dart’s second major safety accolade in recent weeks, having earned a 2012 Top Safety Pick award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Dodge Dart achieved the maximum possible rating in each of the four crash tests used by the IIHS to evaluate occupant protection, the primary attribute of a 2012 Top Safety Pick – the organization’s highest safety honor.
The first product born of Chrysler Group alliance with Fiat S.p.A., the Dart was engineered with a class-leading total of more than 60 safety and security features. Each is designed to ensure peace of mind.
The car’s safety story starts with a solid structure. High-strength-steel comprises 68 percent of the Dart’s body, one of the highest ratios in the industry.
Ten standard-equipment, advanced-design air bags further improve occupant protection. Every Dodge Dart comes equipped with:
- Dual-stage, adaptive, venting air bags for the driver and front-seat passenger,
- Front-seat-mounted pelvic and thorax air bags for driver and passenger,
- Two rear-seat-mounted torso air bags,
- Knee air bags for driver and front-seat passenger,
- Two curtain air bags designed to protect front and rear passengers on both sides of the car.
Equally important are Dart technologies that deliver accident-avoidance capability, such as:
- Electronic stability control (ESC),
- Electronic roll mitigation,
- Traction control,
- Standard four-wheel, four-channel anti-lock disc brakes,
- Electronic brake-force distribution,
- Blind-spot monitoring,
- Rear cross-path detection.
NHTSA’s 5-star safety rating and the 2012 IIHS Top Safety Pick award are the most recent accolade aimed at the Dodge Dart. Others include:
- Top 10 Cars of the 2012 North American International Auto Show (Kelley Blue Book)
- Editors’ Choice Award/Most Significant Vehicle at 2012 NAIAS (Autoweek)
- The 25 Most Anticipated Cars of 2012 (Complex Media)
- Seven Hottest New Cars at the 2012 NAIAS (Vanity Fair Magazine)
- Eight Great American Cars to Spend a Tax Refund On (AutoTrader.com)
- Most Significant Vehicle at Atlanta International Auto Show (Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Assn.)
- Ward's 10 Best Interiors for 2012 (WardsAuto.com)
- Compact Car of Texas (Texas Auto Writers Assn.)
- Best Value (Texas Auto Writers Assn.)
- Best New Feature -- Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Display (Texas Auto Writers Assn.)
- 10 Coolest Cars Under $18,000 (Consumer Guide Automotive)
- 10 Coolest Cars Under $18,000 (Kbb.com)
- Top 10 New Cars for 2013 (Total Car Score)
- Most Important New Cars for 2013 List (Washington Post
For nearly 100 years, Dodge has defined passionate and innovative vehicles that stand apart in performance and in style. Building upon its rich heritage of muscle cars, racing technology and ingenious engineering, Dodge offers a full-line of cars, crossovers, minivans and SUVs built for top performance – from power off the line and handling in the corners, to high-quality vehicles that deliver unmatched versatility and excellent fuel efficiency. Only Dodge offers such innovative functionality combined with class-leading performance, exceptional value and distinctive design. With the all-new 2013 Dodge Dart, the all-new Dodge Charger paired with the ZF eight-speed transmission that achieves a class-leading 31 miles per gallon on the highway, the new Durango and the significantly revamped Grand Caravan – inventor of the minivan – Journey, Avenger and iconic Challenger, Dodge now has one of the freshest dealer showrooms in the United States.
About Chrysler Group LLC
Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 from a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Fiat and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group’s culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat’s complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.
Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group’s product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Challenger and Ram 1500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles.
Follow Chrysler Group news and video on:
Chrysler Connect blog: http://blog.chryslergroupllc.com
Corporate website: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com