Corporate Response to Climate Change Heats Up

Primary tabs

Corporate Response to Climate Change Heats Up

As we race towards the COP 21, anticipated to be a landmark series of negotiations resulting in a global agreement to curb carbon emissions, both the public and private sectors are making bold commitments to take climate action.
tweet me:
Corporate Response to #ClimateChange Heats Up. http://3bl.me/4bh4nx #COP21 #environment

Multimedia from this Release

Green Builder Media CEO, Sara Gutterman

Green Builder Media

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 - 8:00am

CAMPAIGN: Ethical and Sustainable Living

CONTENT: Blog

It’s an exciting—and pivotal—time for the environment. The upcoming COP 21 United Nations conference on climate change taking place in Paris in December (considered to be the last realistic chance for the world to take action that will prevent global warming beyond a 2 degree Celsius increase) is compelling nations across the globe to announce concrete commitments to solve the critical issues of carbon emissions reductions, clean energy adoption, resiliency, and climate adaptation.

To date, 90% of countries around the world have submitted plans that will facilitate the transition to a clean global economy (with the remaining 10% expected to follow along in the next few weeks). And with India and Pakistan’s recent declarations, all of the world’s major economies seem to be supportive of a global agreement.

But it’s not just the public sector that is gearing up for action—the private sector is also hopping on the bandwagon, driven by passionate corporate executives who want to “do right by doing well”, as well as encouragement from the White House.

The Obama administration has been actively recruiting CEOs from Fortune 500 and smaller trend-setting companies, urging them to express their support for a breakthrough international agreement on climate change and enlisting their help in developing a framework for national policy development that is aggressive enough to be meaningful, but realistic enough so as not to harm business growth.

Doug Kramer, CEO of spray-foam insulation company Lapolla recently attended a round of meetings at the White House, during which the CEOs were “asked for input about how we, collectively, can expedite the process of finding out what’s practical from a technology and cost standpoint to set deadlines for the phase out of harmful chemicals without jeopardizing business.”

81 major companies have now joined the “Act on Climate” pledge, making specific commitments to clean themselves up, promising to decrease pollution, waste, and resource use, and to phase out harmful material inputs and chemicals.

Read more...

Keywords: Environment | COP 21 | Corporate Responsibility | Energy | Green Builder Media | Renewable Energy | Sara Gutterman | Utilities | climate change | united nations

CAMPAIGN: Ethical and Sustainable Living

CONTENT: Blog

parse.ly