Investing in Response to Climate Change
Investing in Response to Climate Change
RobecoSAM is taking climate change seriously and is tackling the issue on multiple fronts. Firstly, it developed a sophisticated investment approach to climate change and created investment solutions for investors seeking to address this most complex of sustainability issues. More on this in the paper “Investing in Response to Climate Change”. Secondly, RobecoSAM became a signatory of the Portfolio Decarbonization Coalition in June 2015. And lastly, RobecoSAM continues to be certified as CarbonNeutral®.
The widespread divestment campaign aimed at fossil fuels (comprising producers of crude oil, natural gas and thermal coal) has placed a spotlight on the role of asset owners and managers.
In this debate, RobecoSAM recognizes that climate change is the largest and most complex of sustainability issues, and that it is inextricably linked to many of the other challenges that RobecoSAM is concerned with, such as water scarcity, sustainable agribusiness, and resource efficiency. The guiding principle for all of RobecoSAM’s activities is to proactively manage sustainability issues. RobecoSAM has published details of its approach to Fossil Fuel divestment as well as the solutions it offers to reduce the carbon emissions of portfolios in its paper: “Investing in Response to Climate Change: RobecoSAM’s Toolkit.”
International Collaboration to Reduce the Carbon Footprint
In June 2015, RobecoSAM became a signatory of the Portfolio Decarbonization Coalition. As part of this important move, the company now provides background on its commitments to:
- Review the merits of selective fossil fuel divestment
- Commence engagement with the fossil fuel sector by focusing on electric utilities
- Aspire to reduce the GHG emissions attributable to our core investment strategies by 20% before 15th December 2015
In addition, RobecoSAM continues to be CarbonNeutral® certified, working with The CarbonNeutral Company. RobecoSAM’s CO2 emissions were assessed by an independent third party and the carbon neutral status is underpinned by The CarbonNeutral Protocol, the global standard for carbon neutrality. In 2001, RobecoSAM became one of the first Swiss companies to become carbon neutral. The following two projects are currently being supported by RobecoSAM:
- In Acre, Brazil 35,000 hectares of pristine rainforest is being protected to prevent deforestation. Acre is the home to the Amazon basin and some of the world’s most biodiverse habitats. The project works with communities and local groups to use carbon revenues to help protect ecosystem services. Part of the project supports educational efforts to offer local communities alternative income possibilities.
- In Kenya the “Meru & Nanyuki Community Reforestation” project supports the integration of reforestation to sequester carbon with community development activities; the project combines tree planting activities across almost 2,000 villages and enables local communities to improve access to food as well as create additional sources of income beyond subsistence farming.
If you would like an interview with an expert on CO2-reduction in portfolios or further information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important legal information: The details given on this page do not constitute an offer. They are given for information purposes only. No liability is assumed for the correctness and accuracy of the details given.
This document is not an offering of securities nor is it intended to provide investment advice. It is intended for information purposes only. The views expressed in this commentary reflect those of the author as of the date of this commentary. Any such views are subject to change at any time based on market and other conditions and RobecoSAM and Robeco disclaim any responsibility to update such views. These views may differ from those of other portfolio managers employed by RobecoSAM or its affiliates. Past performance is not an indication of future results. Discussions of specific companies, market returns and trends are not intended to be a forecast of future events or returns. RobecoSAM USA Inc. (“RobecoSAM USA” or the “Firm”) is an Investment Adviser registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. RobecoSAM is a subsidiary of Robeco Groep, N.V. (“Robeco Group”), a Dutch investment management firm headquartered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. In connection with providing investment advisory services to its clients, RobecoSAM USA will utilize the services of certain personnel of RobecoSAM AG (“RobecoSAM”), and Robeco Investment Management, Inc. (“RIM”), each a wholly owned subsidiary of Robeco Group.
Copyright © 2015 RobecoSAM AG - all rights reserved.
RobecoSAM USA, Inc.
909 Third Avenue, 32nd Floor
New York, NY 10022