Job Opening: Director of Strategic Programs
Job Opening: Director of Strategic Programs
November 25, 2014 /3BL Media/ - Social Accountability International (SAI) advances human rights at work, driven by diverse perspectives to navigate evolving labor issues. We design and implement innovative processes that empower and inspire stakeholders and facilitate partnerships.
SAI’s shared vision is of decent work everywhere—sustained by widespread understanding that decent work can benefit business while securing basic human rights.
SAI is a leader in implementation: documenting social accountability standards, delivering practical tools and building capacity for organizations to implement such standards. SAI develops partnerships to train and empower workers, facility and supply chain managers, auditors, government agency staff and NGOs, using key tools such as the SA8000® Standard, Social Fingerprint®, TenSquared, handbooks for implementation of UN and IFC principles, Signatory Membership, professional development training courses and capacity building projects. SAI Signatory Members include HP, Walt Disney Company, Tata Steel, VF, Tchibo, and Eileen Fisher. SAI’s work is funded by US, Dutch, German and UK government agencies, by fees for training courses and member services, by foundations and individuals, and by companies seeking ethical working conditions in their supply chains.
For more information, please visit: www.sa-intl.org
Objective: Reporting to the COO, this position will design, develop, market and implement key SAI capacity building programs.
Capacity building programs at SAI include training, technical assistance, research, stakeholder engagement and other activities in support of SAI’s mission. In SAI’s strategic plan, these encompass a range of projects, online and classroom training, and research. This position will focus on development and growth opportunities prioritized by the SAI executive team in annual plans. Goals will be accomplished together with colleagues.
Program Management and Delivery
- Supervise and/or carry out selected projects and programs
- manage timelines and budgets
- deliver relevant services such as trainings, handbooks, guidance, etc.
- engage cross-functionally with relevant staff and with partner organizations
- manage client and funder relationships, including reporting
- develop and implement M&E for outputs and outcomes
- implement the design, printing and distribution of marketing materials
- Supervise, hire, and train relevant staff
- Expand programs through adaptations and innovations based on worker need and market demand, especially the priorities of SAI’s Signatory Members
- Identify and benchmark leading programs of other organizations, adapting learning for continual improvement of SAI programs
- Develop strategic alliances to support development of new programs
- Work with SAI client and program managers to design new programs
Development – Fundraising, Marketing and Sales
- Identify and develop prospects for corporate, government, foundation funding for the prioritized programs
- Build relationships with potential new funders and provide good stewardship of existing funders
- Prepare and submit proposals in support of the key capacity building programs
- Support and serve SAI’s staff and Joint Development Committee (SAI boards) in the development and implementation of an organization-wide development plan
- Develop and implement communications to support development plan
- Foster the spirit of development and fundraising throughout SAI; provide personal support of general purpose fundraising activities, including calls with key donors, as appropriate
Qualifications and Core Competencies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; master’s degree in relevant field (e.g. MBA, International Relations, Labor relations) strongly preferred
- Familiarity and experience with international workplace human rights, CSR & labor issues and organizations strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years’ experience with a proven track record in project and program management roles, preferably on international projects and on both grant-funded and fee-for-service programs
- Strong technical knowledge of management systems for social compliance, supply chain, human resource management systems
- Experience with both a nonprofit or social enterprise and with a private sector employer a plus
- Experience with emerging markets a plus
- Passion for SAI’s mission from a strategic and operational perspective
- Entrepreneurial development and expansion of services, with proven track record in revenue generation
Skills and Capabilities
- Create systems and processes that lead to successful project management and enable projects to be scaled into programs
- Apply broad analytical skills, with ability to identify and communicate key concepts
- Mentor, develop and supervise staff and consultants, both in HQ and field
- Manage aggressive deadlines, maintaining meticulous attention to detail
- Build effective internal & external relationships, demonstrating exceptional communication & interpersonal skills across all dimensions (written, verbal)
- Work successfully with diverse constituencies, including governmental agencies, NGOs, corporations, think tanks, academia, labor unions, expert communities and media/journalists.
- Engage and influence both direct and indirect lines of authority as well as peers and executives
- Foster teamwork and collaboration across multiple functional areas with competing priorities
- Leverage technology to implement and enhance programs
- Adapt to changing organizational and industry needs
- Creative, willing to experiment, hands-on, take initiative, flexible, resourceful, team-oriented, able to balance analysis and action, results-oriented, entrepreneurial
- Committed to SAI’s mission
- Willing and able to travel as needed
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST include job title in the subject line of their email submission. Please do not call about the position.
The position is at SAI Headquarters in New York City. Compensation commensurate with experience and appropriate for a charitable organization of SAI’s size. Excellent benefits package. SAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.