Voya Financial Publishes Corporate Responsibility Annual Report
Voya Financial Publishes Corporate Responsibility Annual Report
November 17, 2014/ 3BL Media/ - Voya Financial, Inc. (NYSE: VOYA), formerly ING U.S., today published its 2013 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Annual Report, which provides an overview of the company’s CR approach in four key areas: community investment, environmental sustainability, multicultural affairs and business practices and principles.
Voya Financial Chairman and CEO Rodney O. Martin, Jr. explained that the company’s recent rebranding efforts provided a timely opportunity for the enterprise to renew its CR commitment. “While much has changed during Voya’s transformation over the past year, one thing has not. Treating our people, customers, planet and partners with respect remains a long-standing core principle of our company,” said Martin.
While past annual reports have focused mainly on Voya’s charitable giving through the Voya Foundation, this report marks the first time the company captured a broader view of CR initiatives, including employee giving and volunteerism, sustainability efforts, business ethics, and business practices that empower employees and support diversity and inclusion. The report also includes a timeline of financial literacy milestones in America, alongside significant achievements of the Voya-Girls Inc. Investment Challenge, which gives young women practical, hands-on investing experience while allowing them to apply a portion of their gains toward college scholarships.
Highlights from the 2013 report, entitled “Our Next Chapter,” are organized according to four “pillars,” which serve as the framework for Voya’s CR strategy:
Community Investment – Through grants from the Voya Foundation focused on children’s education and financial literacy, as well as on employee volunteer initiatives, employee giving and disaster relief efforts, Voya aims to improve the quality of life in the communities in which it operates and in which its employees and customers live:
- In 2013, more than 40,000 students across the country participated in school-based running and fitness programs that were funded by Voya. These students collectively ran more than 1 million miles over the course of the program — a distance equivalent to that of nearly 39,000 marathons.
- Voya Financial employees volunteered more than 32,000 hours serving community organizations last year.
- Through Voya’s annual Employee Giving Campaign last year, employees donated over $2 million to support non-profit organizations. Voya’s match for employee gifts resulted in another $2 million granted to non-profits across the country.
Environmental Sustainability – In an effort to protect the environment and lessen its ecological footprint, Voya looks for ways to reduce waste through environmentally responsible business practices:
- Since establishing sustainability benchmarks in 2007, Voya has reduced the air miles its employees fly by 48 percent, and has decreased its overall energy usage by 39 percent.
- Voya has also reduced its paper usage by 64 percent, resulting in $485,000 in total savings to the company.
- Voya offices in Scottsdale, Arizona; Atlanta, Georgia and West Chester, Pennsylvania have installed electric vehicle chargers which helped employees at these sites avoid more than 3,200 pounds of CO2 emissions.
Multicultural Affairs – An inclusive culture fosters an environment in which employees can be authentic and engaged. Voya views diversity and inclusion as crucial to its high performing culture, and to its ability to recruit and retain top talent:
- Through six different employee resource groups, Voya utilizes networking opportunities to encourage diverse groups to find greater satisfaction and success in their roles at the company.
- Voya has partnered with professional organizations such as Catalyst and the Executive Leadership Foundation to implement best practices that empower women to take leadership roles in the retirement, investment and insurance industries.
- In 2013, for the ninth consecutive year, Voya Financial earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index.
Business Practices and Principles – Adhering to corporate values, maintaining a strong code of conduct and working with trusted external organizations are key business practices embraced by Voya:
- Voya Financial was honored to be added to Ethisphere’s list of the World’s Most Ethical Companies in March 2014 for the company’s practices, policies and overall CR efforts during 2013.
“For our business to prosper, Voya Financial employees must operate with the utmost integrity, the communities in which we operate must be healthy, and our country’s citizens must be knowledgeable and prepared to succeed in the workforce,” continued Martin. “These beliefs underpin our corporate responsibility initiatives and are central to our organization.”
As an industry leader and advocate for greater retirement readiness, Voya Financial is committed to delivering on its vision to be America’s Retirement CompanyTM and on its mission to make a secure financial future possible — one person, one family and one institution at a time.
Office: (860) 580-2690
Cell: (860) 839-1589
About Voya FinancialTM Corporate Responsibility
At Voya Financial, our corporate responsibility mission is to create shared value for our company and the community by conducting business in a way that is socially, environmentally, economically and ethically responsible. Corporate responsibility for us is encapsulated by our four pillars: community investment, multicultural affairs, environmental sustainability and business practices and principles. Our strategy is guided by the principles of transparency, disclosure, balance and context and is approached in the same way we employ the delivery of our products and services. For more information, visit http://corporate.voya.com/corporate-responsibility.
About Voya FinancialTM
Voya Financial, Inc. (NYSE: VOYA), formerly ING U.S., is composed of premier retirement, investment and insurance companies serving the financial needs of approximately 13 million individual and institutional customers in the United States. The company’s vision is to be America’s Retirement CompanyTM and its guiding principle is centered on solving the most daunting financial challenge facing Americans today — retirement readiness. Working directly with clients and through a broad group of financial intermediaries, independent producers, affiliated advisors and dedicated sales specialists, Voya provides a comprehensive portfolio of asset accumulation, asset protection and asset distribution products and services. With a dedicated workforce of approximately 7,000 employees, Voya is grounded in a clear mission to make a secure financial future possible — one person, one family, one institution at a time. For more information, visit http://voya.com or view our Voya Financial Interactive Company Profile. Follow Voya Financial on Facebook and Twitter @Voya.